Re: Transmission Program Warning

Tim,

I have a '93 525iT (automatic transmission) and it's also equipped with a
JimC chip.  I believe that we have the same transmission, but I don't have
my Bentley manual handy to verify this.

I only experienced the 'Trans Program' indicator once, and that was when I
allowed the engine to wind beyond 6000 rpm.  The only way to do this is to
put the transmission into Manual mode.  Sport or Economy modes will always
shift the transmission at 6000 rpm.  Well, at least when everything is
working correctly...

Although the JimC chip bumps up the redline to allow the engine to rev to
7000 rpm, the transmission program requires the transmission to shift at
6000 rpm, and will display the 'Trans Program' fault when 6000 rpm is
exceeded.  Once in this mode, the transmission will no longer shift through
all of the gears (it runs in a 'limp home' mode).  If you shut off the
engine, turn the ignition to OFF, and then re-start the engine, the fault
will be cleared.

I can't comment on your transmission troubles, but it sounds like your 'very
reputable shop' may not be 'all knowledgeable'.

I know that the Dinan chip does some re-programming of the transmission, but
I don't know whether it raises the 6000 rpm limit.

I chose to live with the stock transmission chip.  If you look at the
HP/Torque curve for your engine (with the JimC chip), you'll find that HP
and torque are beginning to drop from their peak values by the time you've
reached 6000 rpm, so there's no real gain by revving beyond that point.

- -rb