Re: E34

John,

The Brake Linings warning could in fact be due to worn brake pads (33k miles
of stop-and-go driving will most likely wear out your brake pads), or you
may have a faulty brake wear sensor.  You need to do a visual inspection of
the brake pads to determine whether they are worn or not.

Regarding the washer fluid level, I had this problem TWICE (I have an E34
525iT, with washer reservoirs front and rear).  In both cases, the problem
was caused by a faulty level sender in the reservoir.  You can get a
replacement from your dealer, and it takes a minute to replace. You'll need
to drain the reservoir to remove it; otherwise, the washer fluid will spill
out (the level sender is mounted on the side of the reservoir, but all the
way at the bottom).

- -rb