<E30> Emissions

Quick Question:

I have an 87 325es that is failing emissions and will be going to Main
Source Germany on Thursday for
repair.  It seems to be only failing on NO-ppm and the reading is 2585 where
allowable is 1121.  I'm a little
curious as to what could cause this type of failure.  The test did report
that the Cat passed but there is a horrible sound coming from
the exhaust system of my car.  Kind of like popcorn popping or rocks shaking
in a can.  I can tell you that this happened in 1999
and the following steps were taken by United BMW:

1.  O2 Sensor changed
2.  Temp Gauge changed
3.  Inspection II

Now,  it till failed but showed significant amount of progress.  Enough to
that I was able to get a sticker for the car.  Strongly,
they did not notice the sound from the exhaust system.  Maybe a shot
muffler. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Chris

End of bmw-digest V9 #1794