Transmission Program Warning

Tim Kinsey wrote about the "trans program" warning light on his 91 525ia.  I
had this happen to my 92 525ia about a year ago.  In my case the warning
light came on when I was 60 miles from the nearest Bimmer wrench and was
accompanied by the transmission defaulting to 3rd gear limp mode.  After
confirming that the transmission had plenty of fluid, I had visions of fried
tranny all the way home.  Fortunately, my mechanic had seen similar problems
and tested the alternator.  It seems that if the alternator is failing and
voltage to the transmission drops below a minimum, the warning is triggered
and the transmission defaults to 3rd gear.  That's how seemingly unrelated
symptoms can be interrelated.  Hopefully, my experience will help other
owners avoid a very costly transmission replacement.

Ron Sanders
email: RLS5@domain.elided
92 525ia
93 325isa