RE: 87 325 Driveline noise

Tony Canike [mailto:canike@domain.elided] wrote:

> Folks -
>
> The old girl has a problem.   While starting out from a stop
> in 1st, the shift level (manual) vibrates terribly side to side.
> Seems to be torque and temperature related.  Problem is very
> minimal in the morning for the first 10 miles, and it minimizes
> at low throttle and shakes terrible at more open throttle.
> This also now occurring in 2nd, 3rd, and occasionally 5th.
> The problem was first observed only in 1st gear and is now
> progressing rapidly. Have not seen the vibration in 4th.

Tony,
When was the last time you reconditioned your shifter linkage?
Have you looked at your transmission mounts?

> At my service tech's (excellent private shop) suggestion, I
> did a little test. With the engine on and the start stopped
> and in neutral, I hear a very slight noise when the clutch
> is engaged (countershaft?) but the noise is very very faint
> and can not be heard if there is a little wind outside.  I
> honestly can not say if the noise has always been there or not.

It has. They all do it.
The transmission will growl and make even more pronounced 'box of pebbles'
sounds if you fill it with RedLine MTL.

> Had the clutch, pressure plate, throw-out bearing, all accessible
> seals, flex disk, guide tube replaced 30K miles ago.  A month ago
> my tech said the flex disk had cracks in it that it should not
> have after 30K miles and that the shifter was pretty worn.

The worn shifter will account for all sorts of vibration and side to side
play.
The flex disc certainly should NOT wear out in 30K miles. Did the same shop
do the tranny rebuild? The flex disc would deteriorate so fast if it could
have been installed in reverse, if a cheap knock off part was used instead
of OEM, or if your rear engine seal is leaking oil on the flex disc. None of
the above three conditions should exist if the transmission rebuild and seal
replacements was done properly. Thus the question about the shop.

> Since the clutch job I, on very infrequent occasions (cold rainy
> days on interstate under load, believe it or not) hear a low growl
> that sounds like drive shaft or differential to my fallible ears.
>
> Any ideas?

Drive shaft? Rear diff? ;-)
When was the last time you replaced rear diff oil?
Could also be just tire noise since you only hear it on wet pavement.

alex f