Rear bearing

Manuel,

I did the right rear bearing on my 95 325i a few months ago.  Dealer
recommended a complete hub replacement (yeah right) but the bearing job was
pretty straight forward.  It took about 2 hours but I had a hoist and a
complete set of tools, jacks and presses at my disposal.

Taking the hub out is necessary and that's the most labor intensive part of
the job.  It requires that you loosen the parking brake cable, remove the
caliper, rotor, lower shock and control arm bolts (make sure you mark these
so that you don't offset the alignment and you also have to make sure you
jack the spring perch to clear the parts and to prevent the spring from
flying off) and then you have to be able to push the half-shaft in toward the
differential enough to clear the hub.  With some pounding with a mallet, the
hub will eventually let itself loose.  Installation is reverse.

So you can wing without special BMW tools as long as you have a good set of
"mechanic" tools and hoists/lifts.  An impact wrench will make the job easier
and you need a large socket.  I don't remember the size but it was either 32
or 37 mm.  Good luck.

Gary Krumian