re:E30 Shiffter Question and Mirror Q

Kyle wrote:
>Ok someone hit my left mirror and only the glass
>broke. Is there a way so I can change just the glass
>peice? I have a used mirror and what to swap just the
>glass, as the extior of the used mirror is not in the
>best condtion.

Under the mirror housing, near the hinge, there is a ~3mm hole. Push a
small hex wrench or similar item straight up into it, and the glass assy
will pop out.

>Also I want to know what the diffrance bettwen a 85 vs
>an 89 e30 325 shift linkage. the sheetmetal console?
>Is there a way to update the older car to the 89
>standards? Does the 89 have less flex from side to
>side then an 85? Just trying to get some info.

The 84/85 E30s have a sheet metal console, and a 2-piece pivot cup,
whereas the 86^ have the alloy carrier, and the 1 piece screw/snap in
cup.
I and a friend put a '91 M3 shift lever in his '85 325e, but had to be
creative to get around the difference in mounting. It works perfectly,
but there is a bit of adjustment that we have to do yet.

- --
Neil Hitze
'91 318is
'87 325is