E28 Overheating

Listers,

       I have a misbehaving 84 533i.  The car will go from stone cold to
overheat in just about 5-10 minutes.  There are no obvious leaks anywhere.
The coolant warning light on the overhead console is lit even when the
coolant tank is filled to capacity.   I checked Bentley for tips; boiled the
Tstat ...it opened at ~175F like it should.  Also replaced expansion tank cap
with new from BMW; no help.  The car had a new radiator, hoses, Tstat and fan
clutch about 1 year ago so all that's good.

 I can feel the upper rad hose get hot but the rad stays pretty cool so I
don't think any coolant is circulating.  The low/high speed fans don't come
on even though coolant is puking out the overflow hose and the temp gauge is
in the red.  I checked the low and high speed fans by bridging the wires to
simulate closed and they work but I don't think the rad is hot enough to
cause the switches to close.

Bentley says that water pumps rarely "totally" fail but I can only conclude
that is what what has happened.  Any ideas?

Not too Cheery,
Rich Franco
Burke,VA
1984 533i