RE: Replacing a turn signal switch

Teel, Eric [mailto:eteel@domain.elided] wrote:

> Good afternoon gentlemen,
>
> I just broke off my turn signal switch on my e23 735i.  I was
> wondering if anyone knew the size bolt or if a special tool
> required to remove the steering wheel, so that I can remove
> the steering column to replace the switch.

Eric,
I believe it's a 23mm nut (at least on E30s).
Most places, even WalMart should carry a socket in that size.

> If you have a better way to accomplish this task, you input
> offline would be appreciated as well.

Nope, that's the only way.
Very straight forward on non-Airbag (pre '90 MY) cars. Easy 30 minute job.
Remove the roundel emblem, unscrew the nut, insert key into ignition and
disable wheel lock, remove the wheel and you should see two Philips screws
holding the stalk in place. You may or may not have to remove the plastic
steering column shroud to get to the stalk harness connector. Most BMW junk
yards should have a spare for $10-20.