RE: OEM vs. Original

Peter,
OEM - refers to an Original Equipment Manufacture of vehicle parts.  They
may or may not have ever manufactured the parts for the vehicle
manufacture(VM).  To be considered an OEM they should be and usually do
manufacture original equipment for some vehicle manufacture.  As such, the
parts are therefore built without the VM authorization and quality assurance
certification process to meets the vehicle design requirements.

OE - refers to Original Equipment for the production and repair of the
vehicle.  Since these parts are only sold over the franchised dealer
counter, as new parts, you are assures of purchasing a part that was
manufactured, inspected and quality assurance certified to meet the VM's
current design requirements.  Since the original vehicle part may have been
redesigned, you will be assured of receiving the newest revision of the part
when you purchase OE parts.

So what does this all mean?
1) Price,  the obvious difference, since the OEM part is more competitively
manufactured by various OEM's and distributed by various aftermarket supply
chains.  You can usually obtain the listed part at a reduced price.
2) Quality, the only way to ensure you will install a part that will
maintain the original fit, form and function is to purchase OE parts.
3) Results, when you purchase an OEM part you are trading the VM's design
authorization, experience and quality control certification to hopefully
obtain a reduced price.  Check the reduced price issue.  I have been able to
purchase OE parts at near OEM prices by shopping the part nation wide for
the best BMW CCA discount.  Some dealers use the BMW retail list price and
discount from there, others charge what feel they can get away with.  I know
my local dealer will charge 300-400% over list on the small parts(>$2.00)
and up to 40% over BMW retail list on the large ticket items.  The trick is
to understand as best as you can the BMW retail list price so you will know
when you are getting screwed and when you are getting a good deal.

So, will the part perform as well or better than the OE part?
Should you install an OEM part your car will become a test platform, much
like the OE tested parts in the vender selection process.  Since venders
like Bilstein, Boge, Bosch, Lemforder are OE manufactures for BMW the
question is whether the OEM part(vendor box) is the latest design revision
and inspected to the same specification as the OE part (VM box).  The gamble
is less significant however none the less the part is out of the VM quality
control process.  I have also had a concern for the accumulation of OEM
parts, the eventual reduction in vehicle quality and/or performance because
the OEM part may reduce the reliability or reduce the tune on the vehicle
design.

I personally, choose OE parts purchased at discounted from the BMW list
price and do the labor myself, unless I have a specific performance upgrade
in mind.  I will often also select performance upgrade parts from the BMW OE
parts bins, such as suspension bushings, sway bars, brake upgrades, etc.
when they are available.
Rod...