OEM vs. Original

This may start up an old discussion thread that has been visited at
length previously, but here it goes.

As some of you may be aware from prior digests, I have been suffering
suspension problems on my 1994 E36.  The independent mechanics diagnosis
was a blown shock, front ball joint and tie rods.  All told about a
$1000 worth of parts from him.  These would all be BMW parts.  Some
shopping with Roundel advertisers got me prices that were on average
near 50% of this cost.  All suspension parts are OEM parts made by
Lemforder.  Now, can someone give me a reason to pay the higher cost for
the BMW parts?  Is there some inspection and culling for dimensional
tolerances or other criteria that goes on at the factory to separate
parts sold to the general public versus those sold through the
dealerships?  In other words, is there a value in original parts?  I
don't see it, but wonder what others may think.

TIA
Peter Rossato
'94 325 is "VDERZEN"