Baby car

David,

The 5 series is anything but a land barge.  As someone who is critical of
modern-day BMWs, the 5 is actually something that I like.  It is more fun to
drive than the E46 3 series, is the perfect size for being a sedan, and is
the right size for hauling around a family and its related needs.  So if you
want to have a "mature" BMW that is every bit as fun to drive as what you've
been used to, look at the 530i.

Again, as a critic of modern BMWs, I take the 530i over the E36 M3, which is
a nice and capable car, but one (in my opinion) totally devoid of M car
character.  So to me, it's a fast E36 and nothing more.  It pretends to be
something it's not, whereas the 530i feels, drives and accomplishes exactly
as intended and more true to character.

Gary Krumian