Re: M60 cut-out problem

Priit:
My experience is that you should first look for the really simple
problems, and if you find it then you won't have invested in expensive
new parts.  I recently had an intermittent cut out problem which sounds
a bit different that yours.  Was near the shop I go to so rolled in
there.  We checked for unmetered air as you did, then started wiggling
wires.  Turned out to be a loose ground strap from between a rear valve
cover bolt and firewall ground point.  Cost to fix = $0.

Earlier I had the idle fall off / dimming problem, and it turned out to
be caused by oxydized conductors and crimp lugs at the battery.  I
cleaned and crimped and soldered all the small wires to new lugs, fully
tinned the lug surfaces, and replaced the main positive cable that goes
to the starter motor (it had the worst oxydation in its conductors).
That totally solved the low idle, radio cut out at idle, and light
dimming.

Good Luck
Steve Poland
'88 535is