Re: slightly hot e-30 (so far?)

Jake,

Make sure that the auxiliary fan (in front of the radiator) is turning on
when you turn on your AC.  If it isn't, you need to fix the problem.  It
could be a bad resistor.

The auxiliary fan will also turn on if the coolant temp gets above a certain
temp (220?).  So, if you're stuck in stop-and-go traffic, WITHOUT the AC on,
and the fan can't pull sufficient air through your radiator to cool the car,
the auxiliary fan will turn on to help cool things down.

Also, check the condition of your fan clutch.  It should freewheel when the
engine is cold, and get progressively firmer as hot air is drawn onto it
(through the radiator).  If it's freewheeling at operating temp, it's not
drawing sufficient air through the radiator, and you will overheat.

To test the fan clutch: The only test that I've read about (never tried) is:

1) Get the engine up to operating temp (15-20 minute drive)
2) Roll up a newspaper
3) While the engine idles, use the newspaper to try and stop the fan from
spinning.  Don't just stuff it into the fan blades, but bring it towards the
fan slowly, on the trailing side (blades rotating away from you).

If you can significantly slow the fan, or stop it all together, the fan
clutch is bad and should be replaced.

These things don't seem to last very long, and they aren't cheap, but they
really are essential for your car.

- -rb