RE: [e36] Pinging problem - update

I have the same leaky valve cover gasket on my 94 e36.. how hard is it to
replace? any special tools? does bentley cover this well?

thanks
Nicolas Roman
Senior Engineering Consultant
North Miami Beach, FL.

                    "Aaron Ness"
                    <aaron@makuta        To:     "'Jason M Surprise'" <jmsurpri@domain.elided>,
                    .com>                <bmw@domain.elided>
                    Sent by:             cc:
                    owner-bmw@dig        Subject:     RE: [e36] Pinging problem - update
                    est.net

                    04/09/2001
                    03:04 PM
                    Please
                    respond to
                    aaron

I replaced my plugs last week, and apparently my valve cover gasket leaks
too, because there was a little oil goo on each plug making it very
difficult to remove (I was scared I was galling threads, but they all came
out clean).  There was no evidence of oil on any of the threads, and for
oil
to enter your engine via the spark plug holes, I think there would have to
be residue on the threads.

Also, if you are getting oil into the combustion chambers, wouldn't you see
that in the form of bluish smoke in the exhaust?

Aaron
'87 528e
'82 Scirocco
'70 Beetle