RE: 325is maintenance

Daniel Pham [mailto:dpham@domain.elided] wrote:

> By any chance does anyone have a spreadsheet on 93 to prior years'
> BMW 325is? I'm curious to what the maintenance costs are on these
> cars over time.

Daniel,
Do you mean E30 cars ('85-'91 and up to '92 for convertible in the US)?
If so, future maintenance is inversely proportional to the amount and
quality of past maintenance. Most E30s are well past 100K miles and well on
their way to 150-200K. Everything suspension, rubber, wheel bearings, that
has not yet been replaced will need attention. If you are not comfortable
working on your own car this may get pretty expensive.
And all this assuming the expensive parts (engine, transmission, bodywork)
have been taken care of.
At the same time if the car is in excellent condition with documented
meticulous past history, it is a great buy and a TON of fun.
Highly recommended as a daily driver.

> I saw on the Car Talk website, that in terms of maintenance and
> trouble free operation, #1 is Japanese, #2 American, and #3
> European. I know everyone has different experiences, but I'm
> just curious if anyone has the numbers.

Car Talk program and web site could best be described as edutament. Guide
yourself accordingly.

alex f