Kenwood or Sony Receivers in E46?

Anyone had experience installing a Kenwood (non Excelon) or Sony
(non-ES) receiver in an E46?  Does the sound quality increase or
decrease?  I'm curious because these two companies just released their
MP3 CD car players and I WANT IT!!!!  Plus, knowing that the stock
stereo is less than spectacular, I'm hoping for a bit of a sound upgrade
too.  Also, does anyone have information about where I can buy a harness
and dashboard adapter for standard receivers?  Finally, any instructions
on how to take apart my dash for installing the receiver?  All help
would be greatly appreciated!

Edward Chan
edwardhchan@domain.elided
'00 328i