Re: bmw-digest V9 #1754

> Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 11:24:33 -0500
> From: "Aaron Ness" <aaron@domain.elided>
> Subject: [E28] K&N - good or bad?
>
> I need to replace the air filter in my '87 528e, and I about choked when I
> saw the prices on cheap paper filters.  At Advance Auto, they had a
> Purolator filter in stock for something like $12, and I think they wanted
> something close to that for a Fram.  They can sell me a K&N for about $37.
> Based on the cost comparison, it will pay off quickly.
>
> Can someone give me some feedback on their experiences with a K&N in a
528e?
> I don't necessarily expect a dramatic improvement in anything, but I
> certainly want to know if there have been bad experiences.

I had a K&N on my E34 M5--didn't seem to make a hill of bean's worth
of difference.

I recently read a VERY interesting article on the net (somewhere.... you
know
how THAT is....) from a guy who operated heavy
machinery (loaders, scrapers, that kind of stuff).  They were very
interested in K&N, because they basically would go through
a couple of paper filters a WEEK for each of their machines.
So they did side by side comparisons--literally, since each
of these giant earthmovers had two intakes.  So they put
a paper filter in one, a K&N in the other...

The result?  The K&N got almost totally plugged up
the first DAY, was letting dirt and such into the engine.
They went back to paper filters...the K&N just wasn't
doing what it said it would, was too restrictive, and didn't
help at all...

I use paper in my 85 Euro M5...

- --alex

"Woof, woof.  Biscuit"