Re: Odd caliper problem...

> Date: Tue, 20 Mar 2001 21:47:13 -0500
> From: "Gil Thereault" <giln1oiw@domain.elided>
> Subject: Frozen Front Caliper 1986 535i
>
>    I have this perplexing problem with the front passenger side brake
> caliper.  In the past week, the front caliper of my 86 535i locked up to a
> point that the wheel was not movable. I parked the car and when I
returned,
> I bled that caliper and gave the caliper a few knocks with a hammer. I was
> then able drive the car home (two miles to my house)
>
>    The second time this happen, I removed the caliper and replaced it with
> remanufactured caliper(which included the brake pads) at $69.00 plus a
core
> charge.  The first day out, I drove approx 5 miles and the same thing
> happened.  I could feel the front wheel slowing to a point that the car
had
> to be parked. I could smell a burniing odor and feel excessive heat coming
> from that wheel.
>
>    When I returned to the car a few hours later, instead of using the
> regular brakes, I used the hand brake the entire distance to my house
> (approx. 4 miles) with out a problem.  Although this may not mean
anything.
> Previous I had bead the rear brakes a week ago and blead the front brakes
> today. Please any ideas out there.
>
> giln1oiw@domain.elided
> 1986 535i 181,000 miles

I had the same problem with my '85 Euro M5.  Right front caliper would lock
up
intermittently.  Mechanic used a rebuild kit, problem kept occurring.  We
finally
traced it down to a bit of gunk in the feed line from the master cylinder to
that
one brake line.  Replaced master cylinder, flushed lines, everything was
fine
after that.

Hope this helps...

- --alex