RE: Is it common for....

ddrk1 ** [mailto:ddrk1@domain.elided] wrote:

> Dunlops to hum like a freight train??
> I just replaced two of the four tires on my 95 325i w/the
> sport package. (225 50 r16)  I have Dunlop SP8000 tires.

Manuel,
Based on my two Dunlop experiences: D60A2 on my E30 and 8080's on my wife's
E36, the unfortunate answer is yes. They are even nosier on concrete roads
with mid-frequency 'howling' noises.
If your tire source has a 30/60/whatever day money back guarantee, I would
humbly suggest exercising that option and going with better tires.

> I thought it might be a wheel bearing so I jacked up the car
> and spun the wheels and they all seem to be okay.

That might not have been a good test: if you can see the play in the wheel
bearings by hand the wheel is pretty close to falling off. Bad wheel
bearings start howling long before they start wobbling.

> There is no tramlining and the car doesn't pull to either
> side. So here's the million dollar question.  What the hell
> is wrong?? The car was never this loud and I'm getting to
> the point where I'm considering wearing ear plugs when I drive.

Does the noise increase during turns to one side? If so, suspect a wheel
bearing.
If not, this may be a good time to drop by a trustworthy mechanic and let
him diagnose (and fix) the problem for you.

alex f