RE: E30 325e Brake Upgrade

McGuire, David [mailto:mcguired@domain.elided] wrote:

> I took my car to a local shop and got it looked at and they
> gave me a shopping list of things that need to be done before
> I get out all the money I put in to my suspension.
>
> This is the list they gave me
> 1.	Rear Wheel Bearings
> 2.	Front Wheel Bearings

David,
I can guarantee you that all four wheel bearings are not bad. One of them
may well be bad, but I think your mechanic is trying to raise some cash for
April 15th. Wheel bearing failure is not a virus ;-)

> 3.	Steering Box/Rack
> 4.	Tie Rods

This is not unusual on E30s with high miles. You did not mention how many
you have, but I would bet at least 150+K on your eta.

> 5.	Drive Shaft
> 6.	Front Brake Carrier Plate (this is most of the noise,
> the caliper moves up and down about ¼ of an inch going over
> bumps or you can push it and it does the same thing)
> 7.	New Caliper Bolts

I am assuming (6) is brake caliper? If so, make sure it is bolted down
properly (two bolts) and it will seize moving around. Buy new bolts (7) if
necessary.
Flush the brake fluid if you haven't done so recently while you are in
there.

> My question is this I have the ability to get the front Strut
> Housing with the hubs off an 89 M3 and I thought that because
> of the lager brakes and getting the 5 bolt pattern on the hubs
> it might be better off to do that, Has anyone every done this
> before and is there any thing I am missing?

Yep, the budget of around $2K to do a complete M3 swap.
There is absolutely no reason to do this unless you are absolutely
overdriving your existing E30 brakes at the track.
Search this and UUC digests' archives for gory details.

alex f