Repair Shops in the DC Area

    In Washington, DC, there is a magazine called Washington Consumers'
Checkbook.  It is like a local version of the magazine Consumer Reports,
rating such diverse things as DC area dentists, doctors, lawn services,
kennels, basement waterproofers, etc.

    In their most recent edition, they rated Auto Repair Shops, both
independent shops and new car dealers.  Among them were about six that
handled BMWs exclusively.  I believe that all but one of these were new card
dealers.

    What surprised me, and that's what I'd be interested in feedback on, was
that VOB BMW in Rockville received a maximum score of 100% in the area of
overall performance from the 20 people who rated them and Tischer received
an overall performance of only 88% from the 83 people who rated them.  The
independent repair shop, BMW Excluservice of Rockville, received a rating of
92% from the 25 people who rated them.

    When I moved back to this area in 1996 driving a 1992 525i, I asked on
this Digest where to get it repaired.  Excluservice was highly recommended,
as was Tischer and from VOB I was sternly warned away.

    What's going on?  Has VOB now got its act together?  Are they better
than Tischer or is it just the case that as more folks report on a service
provider, 83 people vice 20, that you are going to have to expect more
negative comments?

    Cheers,
    Seeker