Re: Tramlining

I have heard two posts about changing the camber plates or using shims to
fix tramlining problems on lowered E36's or ones with 17's.  So is it worth
it to do this and how much should it cost?  Is using shims a hack? I'm not
looking to spend a whole lot but I would love to get rid of the problem. Is
this something a dealer can do or should I take it to an independent BMW
shop?  And by the way, does any one know of a good independent BMW shop in
the San Francisco-Bay Area. Preferably in the Fremont area.

Thanks in advance,
Erik Logan
94' 325is

>Date: Wed, 14 Feb 2001 11:43:39 -0800
>From: "Mr. Brainy" <brain@domain.elided>
>Subject: Uneven Tire Wear - Help!!!
>
>Scott,
>Have you had an alignment since you installed the springs/shocks?  Due to
the fact that the springs lower your car you have changed >the camber/caster
angles, as well as the rest of teh suspension geometry.  Check all teh
supsesnison angles (get an alignment done).  >You may need to install shims
to restore factory camber/caster angles, or use adjustable camber plates
(K-mac) in the front, and >eccentric bushings in the rear.  This should
reduce any uneven tire wear.  Tire brand has absolutoly no bearing on the
uneven wear you >are experiencing.  I see this problem in my shop every day,
and the chepeast remedy is to shim the suspension, but to increrase
>adjustment flexibilty I recommend using adjustable camber plates

>- -Noam Reuveni
>1973 3.0 CSL
>1974 2002tii
>1990 M3

Get your small business started at Lycos Small Business at
http://www.lycos.com/business/mail.html