Dumb fog light question

OK.  One of the fog lights on my '95 M3 has burned out.  Now that I'm out of
the warranty period, I can't go back to the dealer, point and say "new one,
please."  Does this mean pulling the entire unit, tossing it in the can and
buying an entire new fog light assembly, or is there a way to pull the
halogen bulb from inside the unit and replace it?  I have a feeling I'm
looking at a $100 plus repair, but then again, maybe not.  Any one know the
answer?

By the way, to complicate matters, it looks like there is an overheating
problem associated with the lights. When the car was new, it ate a few fog
lights.  The lenses appeared to be shattering from the heat of the halogen
inside.  On the last replacement, the dealer put some clear adhesive plastic
over the lens to hold the whole mess together and to protect it from cold
outside air and stones, etc.  The plastic on the dead fog light is now
blackened, looking for all the world as though it has been blowtorched.
Whassup here?

DMJ
chambolle@domain.elided
1995 M3 bright red
1976 2002 verona
soon to be added:  2001 325xi sport wagon (hey, you ever try to wedge a baby
seat in the back of an M3?)