Re: More V8 M3

There was a discussion on this on the UUC digest <http://www.uucdigest.com>
a week or so ago. Actually, the V8 M3 at Daytona is a private entry built
by the crew at PTG with little or no BMW Motorsport involvement other than
they supplied the GT tub. The engine is a slightly modified M5 motor,
different rods, pistons and the like but remarkably stock. The 4.4 liter V8
as specified for DTM series in Germany will be a completely new motor
sharing nothing with the stock engines. Milner's PTG team and Schnitzer's
team will both campaign ALMS V8 M3s with this motor but they will be sealed
units from BMW Motorsport which cannot be opened or modified. The word is
that these are tiny units sharing more in common with the Formula 1 motors
than the 540i or 740i, and thus the need for protecting the inner
technology secrets.

- -Phil Marx