E30 Shock replacement

I am installing Boge "Turbo" gas shocks (front strut cartridges)  in my '89
325i, replacing the KYB shocks I installed 5 years ago.

 I recall installing the KYB units (replacing the OEM Boge) as being
relatively easy, but the Boge gas shocks are a bit different than the KYB:

1) The rod that protrudes from the shock body is shorter on the Boge shocks
(7") than on the KYB (9-1/4").

2) The large nut that held the KYB shock tightened all the way down on the
strut tube, but the nut that KYB provides tightens down with about 1/4" of
thread showing.

The Boge shocks are labeled 32 720 F, which Bavarian Auto shows as the proper
shock for my car. The overall length of both shock bodies is about the same,
and I have no oil in the strut tubes. No apparent debris or anything in the
bottom.

I can compress the springs enough to get the KYB units in place, but I'm
concerned about the final installed height (due to the shorter length of the
rod), and the increased height of the strut tubes (due to the threads showing
on the shock retainer nut).

I'm sure a lot of these shocks have been installed in the 325i- any comments?

TIA

George W. Traminer
Martinez, CA