E36 Idle Problem

Hello fellow Bimmers! Hope all is well with you guys!  :-)

I have a little intermittent problem with my 97 BMW 328i. When the engine is
fully warmed up and then the engine falls into an idle state, the RPM's will
start to surge from 500 RPM to 750 RPM.. after idle for about 10 seconds, it
will settle down to approx 600 RPM which feels wrong. This is only an
intermittent problem...  and it will only do this in the first hour that the
car has been running. It never does this when I bring it to my mechanic.. so
he doesn't know what's causing it. Does anyone know what could be causing
this? I don't know if there's an idle adjustment... or if it's something as
simple as a spark plug or ignition wire.. maybe a vacuum hose (if any??) ???
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!!  Thanks very much in advance for