Re: E30 driveshaft question

Hi Michael,

I think you're confusing the splines at the juncture of the two-piece
driveshaft with the spline yoke, which is the u joint immediately aft of the
spline connection and the center bearing.

I'm not a driveshaft expert, but I don't believe there should be any
movement along the spline juncture itself. Your transmission should be
bolted down on mounts and the driveshaft at the point in front of the spline
u joint is fixed  by the center bearing. So there is no shifting to
compensate for. The splines merely serve as a point of adjustment as you fit
the front half of the driveshaft to the output shaft of the transmission.

Again, I'm just an enlightened amateur, but I have had the driveshaft off my
E30 and see no reason why there should be any shifting along the spline
joint once the collar nut is torqued down.

Cheers,
Russ Maki
'87 325ic