blower motors

Beemer dudes,
My 320is interior blower motor was making noise and when it was
heavily greased it quieted down. I would be interested to know where
a good source for these motors is. I understand they are very
expensive through the usual channels. Is there not a more mainline
source?
I got some responses regarding the serial number search, referring me
back to the E20 page. That was interesting and useful.
How can you tell what number in the string of production your car
was? What is the number sequence relative to years production? I want
to find that I have the 2nd last 320is or first 325e or sumpin like
dat??

Best of the season!
Allister