'88 325iX Cold weather start problem - fuel regulator?

On two occasions I had a similar problems with my 89 325ix in cold
weather and high altitude.  I never figured out what happened, although
the problem never repeated itself.

Doesn't depressing the gas pedal part way reduce the flooding problem by
allowing more air in the mixture?

Dan Simmons

Dave Rathnow [mailto:Dave.Rathnow@domain.elided] wrote:

> I left the car outside all day yesterday, in about -20C (no
> plugs availalbe for block heater.) When I tried to start it,
> it would start, run for a couple of seconds and then died
> immediately. This went on for a few minutes until I started
> pumping the gas after it started. It finally idled but was
> belching black smoke out the tail pipe and running really
> rough. I could also smell lots of unburnt fuel.
Dave,
Your engine was flooded. Either because the injectors where leaking while
the car was sitting (cold weather related?) or because of one too many
failed attempts to start the car. Each time you try to cold start the car
injectors fire for exactly 1 second to enrich the mixture for a cold
start.
Do it too many times and the cylinder will get flooded.
Pressing the gas pedal does not effect fuel delivery. It opens the
throttle
so that more air gets fed into the cylinders. The DME reacts to more air
by
providing more fuel, etc, etc. Therefore, by pumping the gas pedal you
finally provided enough air for the combustion to commence and the engine
eventually fired, though it ran really rich for a while resulting in the
black smoke and the smell of gas coming out of the tail pipe.

Daniel L. Simmons
Professor of Law
School of Law
University of California