Purchase advice on 535i and 735i

Hello,
I am a new member of the list and I am in the market
for an affordable(@$5k) 535i or a 735i. I joined the
list to learn more about these cars. So far I have
read the comments posted on the Cars.com/Car Talk
survey comments on 535s and 735 from 1986 to 1991 and
searched the archives of this list with limited
success - a lot of material. I have also read the
ROAD&TRACK road tests of these cars (1986-1991) and
The Illustrated Buyers Guide to BMW.
My impression of these two models, so far,  is that
the 535 is a friendlier car to work on and more
reliable than the 735. I gather that the 735's luxury
gadgets is the culprit for this perceived lack of
reliability. Also it seems that 735s are cheaper to
buy than same year 535s.
I would appreciate your comments on my preliminary
findings and any advice on how to find a good 535/735.
Thanks in advance for your help.
Jorge
Houston, Tx
http://shopping.yahoo.com/