Re: Robert G.'s clutch woes...

>>Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2000 07:57:19 -0800 (PST) From: Michael Menard
>><mike5635@domain.elided> Subject: Robert G.'s clutch woes...
>>
>>Robert G talked about his clutch woes...
>>
>>My nickel's worth:
>>
>>Robert,
>>
>>Your dealer is playing bend-over with you. There is NO WAY that a car with
>>that kind of mileage needs a clutch (and the tires at 20K?!) without it
>>having
>>been misused somehow. AND...I'd not be at all surprised they know it!
>>
>>I'm not aware of the details of the "Certified Pre-owned BMW" checklist,
>>but a
>>clutch is certainly one of the major components of the car. If it isn't
>>on the
>>certification list, then the "BMW Certification" isn't worth the paper it's
>>written on, and simply a marketing ploy, nothing more.

Robert -

	FYI - I just looked at the "Certified Pre-Owned BMW Vehicle Program
Vehicle Inspection Checklist.

	Under "Driveline & Running Gear" there is the entry, "Inspect final
drive/manual/automatic transmission fluid levels".

	There is no specific entry for clutch play, wear, etc.

	The Service Rep pulled the BMW manual/book on what is and is not
covered and it clearly specifies that brake pads and clutch are _not_
included.

	In fairness to the dealer, I had the car back last week when the
left front seat heating element died and they pulled the seat and replaced
the element for a standard fee which you pay for all such maintenance under
the "Certified" plan:  $50.

>>In short, you're being screwed by the dealer. I'd: 1. demand the name and
>>address of the previous owner, find out from them (if possible) what
>>happened
>>to the car; 2. Demand to see the Certification Checklist for your
>>"Pre-owned,
>>Certified BMW", and review it carefully for mention of the clutch or lack
>>thereof; 3. I'd write to the CEO of BMW North America, copying EVERY
>>member of
>>the Board of Directors, the State's Attorney General's office, BMWCCA, and
>>every major BMW magazine. If your city has (like Chicago), a well-known
>>writer
>>who addresses things like this, I'd contact them too. I'd share the story
>>with
>>these people to ensure that the message gets out.

	The service manage called me and told me that he had contacted BMW
that they would accept no claim/responsibility for the failed clutch, even
though it occurred at only 33K.

	When we were checking the previous service records for the vehicle,
I noted the previous owner's name.  Checked the telephone book and called
him.  No luck, he's moved out of the area.  I did a search online and found
two email addresses for someone with the same relatively rare name and
emailed them both asking them if they were the previous owners.  No
response yet.

	I don't really see much hope in pursuing this further.  If you have
read all my post on this thread, I don't have a legal leg to stand on:  the
manual clearly states BMW does not cover clutches under this warranty.
This is why I appealed to the Service Manager's sense of fair play (see
next para for my approach).

	Service Manager seemed like a nice, reasonable guy and I repeated
what I told the Service Rep, and I told him (true) that I lived some
distance away but had specifically come to that dealership to buy my BMW
because I had heard good things about it on this Digest.  I also told him,
(true) that I planned to eventually replace either my 1992 5251 or the 1996
328i with an AWD BMW wagon.  Did it not make sense for them to keep me as a
happy customer?

	He heard me out and asked me what I would like. I told him I would
like the dealership to split the cost with me: drop the bill to $500.  He
said he didn't think he could do that, but played around with the bill for
awhile and agreed to knock 15% off the bill, reducing it to $850 and
promised to contact the regional BMW folks and see if they would agree to
absorb some of the cost of the repair.  And he promised to call me back and
let me know the results of his call.

	Expensive lesson,
	Bob