Spring painting

Fellow Bavarians,
I'm presently tinkering with an '83 320i (E21) and, at the rate of fun I'm
having driving this thing, I'm seriouslt considering some in-depth
restoration, including a professional paint job in the spring, when it's
warm enough to be car-less for a while (my other "cars" are a 1987 BMW R80
and a Y2K Kawasaki Concours. Half the tires, twice the fun. No heater, and
they're hell on snow & ice!)
  Anyway, the body is near-perfect. 4 door dings that I can make out, and
one spot of rust perforation appx.1" dia. on the pass. side rocker panel,
just behind the front wheelwell. Trunk, strut towers & floor pans all look
fine. Paint is decent, for a 17 year old car, except the roof, which looks
like a pack of porcupines mated on it-- paint is all scratched, no shine
left at ALL.  I know a local upholstery shop which won't rob me and which
does a fantastic job on interiors (the boss's restored Studebaker pickup).
   For paint, I wonder if anyone has personal experience (positive, that is)
with a shop anywhere in Ohio. I'd like to replace it with stock color if
possible (Saphirblau metallic), though I suppose something very close to
stock would suffice if it's not available any more. I've seen and heard
plenty of horror stories of the paint job that looks great for about a year,
then begins to peel off from poor priming in the crooks & crannies. If I'm
paying big $$, and I intend to keep the car, I'd like to put a gang of pros
on the job. Also, if there's any prep I can do which will lower the cost
and/or improve the quality of the finished product.
   One more ?: the steering sometimes "clunks" esp. when turning in reverse.
Previous owner says it needs a new steering rack-- any opinions? Apologies
for the length of the post.
   Your advice is greatly appreciated!
Thanks,
Jim Barber