re: verticle oil filters

I maintain that the vertical canister type oil filter is one of the EASIEST
and LEAST MESSY arrangements I've ever seen.  When I take my filter out I
have a small drain pan that I immediately slip under the filter as I pop it
out of the canister, thus all the oil goes in the pan and none on the
engine/floor.  I always seem to spill oil from the screw-on type underneath
the engine, but these are by far the easiest to change without making a
mess.  Good tip about using the plastic bag to grab hold of it, unless you
use rubber gloves like I do.  Also definitely add a little oil to prime the
engine, just don't put too much in the canister or the new filter will push
it out the top and then you WILL have a mess!

Bill-banger