Re: What do I need to do injector change?

> I've got a hard starting problem on my '89 325iX plus a rough idle (not
> fluctuating revs but just an odd, pulsating rumble).  My mechanic diagnosed
> 4 leaking injectors and having recently spent $1,700 with him, suggested I
> swap them myself.

[snip]

Hi Henry,

what were your mechanic's findings which lead him
to believe 4 of 6 of your injectors are leaking?
I find that hard to believe... (although it *might*
be possible)

How is your gas mileage? What do your sparkplugs
look like?   Are they fouled with any indication
that you are leaking?  Are you emissions on the high side?

Hard starting and rough idle are usually symptoms
of some deficiency in your ignition path, although leaky
injectors can cause the same

Have you tried swapping out your sparkplugs, wires, and
cap/rotor?  I'd recommend replacing these first
before replacing injectors, if you haven't already done so.

FWIW, I had hard starting and erratic idle on my 528e
accompanied with near-failing emissions tests.
New Bosch platinum spark plugs fixed the hard starting
problem--it was a day-and-night difference.

New wires [not cheap!] fixed my emissions and idle
roughness.  Interestingly enough, my old wires' continuity
measured OK and were within specs.  My latest emissions
test dropped like a rock compared to the past 2 tests
2yrs and 4yrs ago... the only diff were the wires.

I know lots of you folks out on the list hate Bosch
platinums and actually got bad results from using them,
but I don't have any problems whatsoever!  THey work fine!

aaron
88 528e 69Kmiles

[back into lurk mode]