<all 90+> Vertical Oil filters

Michael in Chicago commented:

Geez, I'm tired of the "upright" oil filter on my 1990
535i.  I'd be shirley happier if the filter hung down,
so I'd not get oil all over the place!

Does anyone know of a company that makes oil filter
adapters for this car?

Response:  The vertical oil filter inserts that come on most/all? Bimmers
since the early 90s can be a mess to change unless......  Take the clear
plastic bag that the replacement OEM filter came in (you did go with OEM for
this critical part, right?).  Put the bag on your hand like a mitten and
slowly pick up the used filter insert by its top.  As you lift the insert
out of the canister, use your other hand to pull the bag down and around the
top and sides of the insert.  After most of the oil has dripped out of the
insert into the canister, quickly turn your hand over catching the remaining
gunk in the bag.  Drop old insert and bag into trash and prepare to receive
the adoration of friends and family who have witnessed this smooth act of
motorhead coordination!

BTW, don't forget to "prime" the oil canister with a half quart of fresh oil
once the new insert is in place.  This gives the bearings a quick shot of
lubricant on start-up and is probably the reason the engineers went with
vertical canisters.

Ron Sanders
RLS5@domain.elided

93 325is