RE: E-30 bugs

JHahn22@domain.elided [mailto:JHahn22@domain.elided] wrote:

> Hello folks,
> I have noticed a few quirky problems with my 89 325i.
> 1.  Just replaced the OBC lightbar and now have a functional
> OBC for the first time. . .NEAT-O!!!!  Problem is that it
> indicates that it is -20* F outside.  I live in Texas and
> am quite certain that it's warmer than that. All the other
> readouts seem right, so I'm guessing there is some temp
> sensor somewhere that is sick. . .any suggestions?

The ambient temp sensor is at the top of the driver side front wheel air
duct.
Chances are the connector has popped off.

> 2.  Occasionally, the throttle seems to stick a little when I
> go through the gears.  The RPMs will stay up when I take my
> foot off the gas to shift. Would this mean I need to lube
> something in the throttle linkage?

You did not quantify the problem (how much the revs stick and for how long),
but if I remember correctly, the DME intentionally keeps the RPMs from
dropping like a rock to help with engine/gear speed matching as you take 1/2
second to upshift. If the RPMs stick indefinitely on a warmed up car, or
stick randomly, try lubricating the throttle linkage on top of the intake
manifold.

> 3.  My brake fluid light started blinking on a little when I
> took corners  hard, so I put in some more which seemed to cure
> it.  The pedal firmness never deminished, and the light seemed
> to be the only problem.  But where should I look for the leak?

Are you sure it is leaking?
If so, trace the brake plumbing from the fill container to the ABS pump to
the wheels. Look for damped/oily dirt areas near the connectors.

> Or just keep filling it when the light comes on?

If the level is dropping, do yourself a BIG favor and find the leak. When
the leak eventually accelerates into a flood, you will loose the brakes and
discover impact braking.

have fun,
alex f
'89 325i