E30 Windshields

Hi there,

I'm the proud owner of an '88 325i E30. I try to keep it in good
original condition and anything which needs fixing is attended to
pretty much immediately. I also like to keep it original and I'm
seeking some comments from the digest regarding 'originality'.

Last week a flying stone damaged my windshield. It's covered by
insurance, and today I went to get it replaced. Like all the glass in
the car, the original screen is tinted slightly green. However, the
only replacement I'm being offered has the same tint but also has a
much darker band across the top four inches or so. My car was
originally sold new in the UK, and was shipped here to New Zealand
about four years ago so it's original (UK) specification may differ
from US models, but I'm interested to know if windshields with a darker
band across the top were ever fitted from new by BMW. The replacement
shields we have here are actually made in Australia. I don't know who
makes BMW's original glass but I very much doubt they're in Australia!
Can anyone please advise me about original spec. BMW glass?

Thanks in advance for any help,
Regards,
Paul
New Zealand