<E34> Springs, Shocks and Brake pad Question

My '89 535i is in bad need of replacement shocks.  I would like to
upgrade to a bit stiffer than stock suspension.  I think the bilstein
HD's would be the correct mix for my taste, but I don't know if they
can be used with my stock springs or do I need to get a short spring
kit?  Or do they work with both?  Has anyone installed the kits that
BMP and Bavarian autosport offer?  I think they both use bilstein
hd's and H&R Springs.

Also, since my springs are now 11 years old, do they need to be
replaced regardless or do they not really wear out?   I'm a somewhat
aggressive driver, do an occasional driving school, but also take the
car on long trips, so I don't want to feel every crack in the road.

Concerning brake pads..what is the list opinion of PBR deluxe pads
vs. PBR metallic pads?  Is it worth it to get the metallic pads?

Thanks,
Lance Cameron
'89 535i, K&N Filter, Jim C. chip