e30 Radio Search - The Saga Continues

So, it turns out that I'm not much for reading manuals.  Right after the
installation instructions on my Kenwood, there are "Removal Instructions".
The Kenwood comes with two keys that make removal a snap.  Looks like the
Kenwood is a keeper.

Now, more questions:

1) BY-PASS THE FACTORY AMP?

The Kenwood comes with normal speaker outs and RCA pre-outs.  Do I use the
normal speaker outs and by-pass the factory amp?  Or do I use the pre-outs
to go directly to the amp?  What have listers tried?

2) SOUNDGATE PWR1 ADAPTER?

When I go to Crutchfield, they want me to buy a Soundgate PWR1 adapter.  To
quote Crutchfield,

"The Soundgate PWR1 adapter is designed to match the output level (speaker
outputs) of most high-power aftermarket receivers to the input levels of
many factory amplifiers."

Can I assume that if I use my pre-outs, I don't need the PWR1?

3) FLOATING GROUND ADAPTER?

Crutchfield also recommends a the Soundgate FLT1 floating ground adapter.

"This adapter lets you connect most high-power (8-wire) aftermarket
receivers to most common ground (5-wire) car harnesses, keeping the
high-power output from the receiver. This adapter maintains a full 20-20k Hz
frequency range. You also get a 3 dB bass boost below 85 Hz for beefier
bass. It does not work with Bose systems or in cars with speakers that
ground to the chassis."

Do I need this?

Man, I never thought this would be so complicated.