Re: Wipers

Andy wrote....

>Now that snow, rain, and sleet season have arrived in Michigan, I am
>reminded how badly the wipers on my E36 work.  Does anyone else have a
>problem seeing because the passenger side wiper stops it's travel right
>in the middle of the driver's line of sight?  Because the wiper reverses
>direction there, it seems there is always this slightly unclear line that
>I have to look through. It's annoying. I replace my wiper inserts with
>BMW OEM parts a couple times a year and use Rain-X, but still seem to get
>alot of streaking and chatter.  I'm thinking of replacing the whole wiper
>arm, or maybe I have build up or something.  Any tips would be
>appreciated.

I've got the same issue with my '97 328is.  The Rain-X seems to make a
little bit worse, IHMO as it looks like a greasy streak right THERE plus is
makes the rain do funny stuff around there when the wipers aren't going.
Very annoying, 100 times worse at night.

Rain-X instructions say to clean the windshield, apply it (two coats), and
then scrub it off with a wet towel.  In my last couple of cars I never
bothered with the last step (made it seem to last longer) and sometimes I
skipped the cleaning.  It makes a difference.  Doesn't leave as much goo
behind for the wipers to mess up.

Recently I went with another product (forget the name) but it claims to be
the once a year deal - much better wear resistence and no goofy stripe.
Wish I could remember the name.  I'm sure someone else will know.  I think
it's made by STP...?

John Virnig
'97 328is (not yet winterized....better get crackin')