scraping noise from engine area

Hi bmw ppl,

     I was driivng around yesterday in my bmw when all of a sudden there's
this loud scrapping/ripping noise that came from my engine!!  I was horrified
to say the least, cuz my car never really had any problems with it.  I got
out of the car while my friend slowly drove it forward, and i am pretty sure
the noise came from the engine area.  It kind of sounds like metal scrapping
the ground, and it's pretty loud. The funny thing is the noise stopped a few
mins later (because i had to drive it home).  I am going to bring it into the
shop on Monday, but i don't know if they are going to find out what's wrong
with it since the noise had stopped. So i was just wondering if any of you
guys have the same problem?? If you do maybe you can tell me where it's
coming from in the engine and why i have the problem. any suggestions would
be greatly apprectiated. Thanks!!

James
99 E36 328is