Radiator Fan and Ideal OP Temp

Hi fellow Bimmers,

On my 97 328i, how would I know if it's overheating or just operating at an
ideal temp? The temp guage goes exactly 1/2 way and while it was idling in my
driveway the other day for 30 minutes, the radiator fan NEVER came on once. Is
this normal for this time of year? I'm trying to figure out if the radiator
fan is actually working, is there a way I can find this out for myself? If
it's not working, what would be the likely cause(s)?

Thanks very much in advance for any help!

Serge Maillet
1997 BMW 328i