RE: Radiator Fan and Ideal OP Temp

Serge Maillet [mailto:serge.maillet@domain.elided] wrote:

> On my 97 328i, how would I know if it's overheating or just
> operating at an ideal temp?

the temp gauge?
;-)

> The temp guage goes exactly 1/2 way and while it was idling
> in my driveway the other day for 30 minutes, the radiator
> fan NEVER came on once. Is this normal for this time of year?

1. The temp gauge in E36 cars is rumored to be less then linear. Something
about too many complaints from E28/E30 owners when the temp gauge needle was
a hair below or above 12 o'clock prompting BMW to wire the E36 gauge so that
it stays at 12 o'clock within a wider temperature range (don't remember the
exact values).
2. Which radiator fan are you talking about? The electrical fan you see
through the grill only comes on when either AC is running (I bet it wasn't
in your case ;-) or the engine is overheating.
3. The mechanical viscous clutch fan is "always on".
4. It's should not be terribly warm this time of the year in Canada.
5. Chances are, the engine was cooling just fine with mechanical fan only
and thermostat fully open at idle.

> I'm trying to figure out if the radiator fan is actually
> working, is there a way I can find this out for myself?

which fan?

> If it's not working, what would be the likely cause(s)?

Electrical fan? Temp sensor dead, low speed resistor shot or the fan itself
broken.
Mechanical fan? Viscous clutch is shot.

hope this helps,
alex