325e with intermittent turn signal operation...

Hi all,

I've got a 1986 325 e30, and the other night I experienced some intermittent
operation with my left turn signal.  The right turn signal seemed to work
fine, as well as the hazards.  The left turn signal would work fine, then
stop flashing, then after a few minutes, if I turned the stalk off and on,
would start again, then stop.  A few miles later it would work fine, then
again not at all.  At night, looking at the dash, I could see that the
indicator for the left turn signal was glowing just slightly. (?)

I looked in the Bentley manual, and it mentions isolating the problem by
checking the fuses for left and right, and determining if the Hazards work,
since it's the same flasher, but this didn't seem to help me isolate a
possible culprit.

The signals seemed to work fine this morning, and I like to be a courteous
driver (as I pass everyone else on the road in a safe manner)  ;) so I want
to keep it from happening again.  Any ideas?

tia!

- -Rod Birch