[E30] Hiccups

This past weekend my '90 325is began having spurts of
cutting out.  The car revved strongly through to
redline, however, at times when cruising through the
gears would stutter and feel as if it would cut out.
The worst part is that the "Check Engine" light comes
on (no on board computer warning lights come on
though) and goes off when the clutch is engaged.  At
first it seemed to only sputter at around 26 -2800
rpm's but occasionally would do it in the higher
(above 4K) ranges.

My guess is that I have fallen victim to a bad tank of
gas, containing some water.  Seems my injectors are OK
because the car idles fine and pulls nicely in other
rev ranges.  What else could it be? If water, what
would be a remedy?  Any other ideas?

Thanks

Peter Soerenssen
Peachtree Chapter