Looking to buy BWM, dumb question time

Hello, everybody.  I'm a long-time Alfa Romeo owner, looking to start my
first steps into BMW ownership.  I have found a 1995, 49k 318ti (E36.)  The
price is right, the condition is almost right.

The purpose of this car is to be a daily driver, commuter car with
occasional long distance into the Ozark Mountains.  I'm "retiring" my Alfa
to fun-car status.  (Then again, I was pleasantly pleased with my test drive
of the BMW!  It would make a nice fun car, too.)

Being unfamiliar with BMW, and knowing how great the Alfa Digest has been to
me over the years, I would like to ask a few questions, please?

1) This car is currently out of warranty, but I can get a 2/24k BMW warranty
from the BMW dealership for $2000.  The third-party companies aren't any
better in price.  Is the warranty worth it?  I know the price of BMW parts
and labor is high, but if you were in my place would you buy the warranty?

2) The car has been smoked in by the second owner.  Does anybody know any
way to clean out the smell and accumulated tobacco poisons?  (To the smokers
of this group: this question is not meant to be offensive.  Asthma runs in
the family, and I want to avoid any "surprises.")

3) I'm 37 years old.  Will other BMW owners think I'm trying to be a college
kid with this car?  Perhaps having a mid-life crisis? <grin>  (I know, we're
not supposed to compare it to the VW GTi, but hot Euro hatches are great
cars in my opinion.)  Is the 318ti considered to be a "real" BMW by other
BMW enthusiasts, or is it a "castoff" like VW's Fox?

4) What are the pitfalls of owning this car?  I know the engine has less
horsepower than my Alfa's V6, but the balance and steering are wonderful.
Are there any known recurring issues?

Thanks a lot for your help, folks!  With any luck, I'll make the offer next
week, if I feel good about the car.

Howard K. Warren
1984 Alfa GTV-6 "Falconi", 140k miles