Re: E36 Transmission Question

> Last week I purchased my first BMW so my knowledge is a bit limited
> at this point. I now own a 1997 BMW 328i with M package with 50k
> miles.
> Whenever I'm at a stand-still and I try to put the car into 1st
> gear, it's very difficult to slide in the gear. However, if I'm
> moving 3-5 MPH it goes in 1st no problem. There is no synchro/gear
> grinding whatsoever.

My car does this, sometime. There is a tech bulletin that describes a
testing procedure, where if I remember correctly you...

 - shift the car *toward* first gear until you feel the
   synchros pushing back and hold it there
 - shut off the ignition
 - attempt to push the lever into first

If you cannot do this and it is *repeatable* you have an issue. Most
like you will not be able to repeat the problem :(

One of the reasons for the problem is that the spline is not properly
lubricated.

> If I put it in 2nd gear first, then into 1st it goes in just fine.

This is one of BMWs recommended solutions for dealing w/this problem.
What you are doing is re-aligning the synchros.

> Do you guys think that this could be a serious problem? I have no
> idea where to start looking and I can't afford the $80+ /hour for
> the BMW dealer to find the problem (if any). Any advice /
> suggestions would be tremendously appreciated!!! Thanks in advance!

Wait until you need a new clutch and have them make sure the spline is
properly lubricated.

HTH.

Stephen
http://b-t-g.com