e30 radio problem

I'm having a problem with the factory radio from my '89 325iX.  The volume
is very low unless you fiddle with the volume knob.  When you do that, you
get a lot of static and the volume goes up to normal.  You let go and it
drops down to a whisper.

I'm sure it's a bad reostat but before I go in and try to take it apart, can
anyone tell me if this is a repairable part?  Anyone try it before and have
pointers for me?  Or, do I have to replace the entire unit?

Thanks,

Henry
'89 352iX

End of bmw-digest V9 #1629