OEM CAI?

To all,

I have a question about the '00 528I.  I was thinking of adding a CAI, but
after a deeper look under the hood I see the OEM air intake hose comes from
under the car.  There is also a scoop next to the fog light, not the one for
the brakes.  Am I correct in saying that this is some type of "Ram-Air"
configuration?  Would a simple K&N filter upgrade be sufficient?  Would I do
more harm than good by adding a complete aftermarket CAI?  To my untrained
eye,  the current configuration looks optimum.

Thanks for all input.

W. Wallace